Saturday, October 7
The relationship between a faculty member and said faculty member's advisees at times is way too heavily based on codependency. And I am strictly talking about professional relationships here. Let's take a student who keeps disappointing. It's like a romantic relationship where the partner keeps cheating or lying or whatnot. Nonetheless, the codependent other half continues to go back to the partner. How many occurences of disappointment will lead to a permanent fracture in the relationship? Too many.

That's the somewhat abstract version of where I'm going here. Take a student who disappoints time and time again. The faculty member has a talk with said student directly addressing the concerns and offers suggestions for how said situations should be handled in the future. Student thanks faculty member for advice and all seems good. Until the next time. When said student disappoints again not even in a new realm, but repeating the same old mistakes.

And Salmon, before you freak out and suggest that this must be how your adviser sees you, etc, from everything you have told us I can confidently say this has nothing to do with your situation. I am talking about very simple things here, like returning emails in a timely fashion, keeping others abreast of goings on and everday little whatnots of that sort.

3 comments:

Dandelion said...

No disclaimer for me, though. That is probably how my advisor sees me.

Salmon Ella said...

And Salmon, before you freak out and suggest that this must be how your adviser sees you, etc, from everything you have told us I can confidently say this has nothing to do with your situation.

Ha ha ha, I see that I'm developing a reputation.

fraud, in denim said...

I really, really get annoyed with people who don't learn from their mistakes - or who are inept at taking note of criticism in the first place.