I was very excited to get an invitation to join academic secret, but I've been feeling twinges of impostor syndrome when trying to think about what to post. I'm not a real academic (any moment now someone will realize they made a mistake letting me into grad school) and I'm certainly not cool enough to be part of a secret cabal. After rereading the archives, however, I'm feeling more confident because I'm pretty sure that I can beat all y'all at something, even if I have to bring up an old argument to do it.
Salmon Ella first claimed to be the “resident slacker of academicsecret” back in July, but didn't seem eager to fight for the title when thistle challenged her*. I'm ready to take you on, though, thistle! Thistle's pretense to the title: “There are many weeks when I only manage to work 20-30 hours at being a graduate student, and I don't even have a baby.”
Ha! I laugh at your “20-30 hours”! A day when I do 2 hours of vaguely work-related activities is a day of astounding productivity for me. Usually, it takes all my motivation to do the bare minimum required to keep my model organisms alive.
Let me share a typical day with you:
8-9am – alarm goes off, hit snooze (repeat)
10.30am - realize my dreams of one day getting to work before 11am are about to be shattered, yet again
11.30am – start getting ready to leave
12pm - arrive at work, read more blogs (or at least hit refresh until something new shows up in my feed reader) until everyone else leaves the lab
6pm - realize that my organisms are going to die if I don't feed them
7pm – finally drag myself away from the computer to feed my organisms
7.15pm – go home
Anyone think they can top that for slackerness? Bring it on!
Pre-post update: Sadly, since I wrote the first part of my post, my advisor managed to kill my sense of achievement. She came by to ask for an update on my progress and after I mumbled my excuses about shipping delays (read: forgetting to place the order) and lack of facility access (read: not getting around to returning the signed forms), she started talking about all the exciting new ideas she has for my project. She seems to be feeling bad that my project is having problems (it does have some that aren't entirely self-induced) and is sure that once I get some results I'll be moving ahead much faster! I couldn't bring myself to confess the real reason for my lack of progress. She'll just have to learn the slow way that I can bring errors and delays to the best of projects...
Why does she have to be so nice and supportive and make me feel guilty? And why can I not just do some work??
*Turquoise Stuff also mentioned the title fight, but I'm not sure he(?) is a serious contender. I mean, he has a list!
- ► 2007 (30)
- behind door #1: The Conscious Pig
- Picture secret XXXI
- How to be diplomatic when writing letters?
- Is Comedy the last bastion of social criticism?
- The good, the bad, the semi-secret
- Resident Slacker Challenge
- The Pompocity Factor
- A Supposedly Useful Tip That I Thought I'd Pass Al...
- a little less fraudulent
- The Secret Art of Saying NO
- Just In Time For Rush Week
- Every year I make a sort of sacriligious pilgrimag...
- Picture secret XXX
- other voices, other rooms
- Picture secret XXIX
- The Old(ish) and the Restless
- Money in the Bank
- Rising to one's level of incompetence
- Giving Ourselves Credit Where It is Due
- Picture secret XXVIII
- Stop and Smell the Rain
- Picture secrets logistics
- Time Flies.
- Picture secret XXVII
- Picture secret XXVI
- Hellena Handbasket?
- Picture secret XXV
- Picture secret XXIV
- Staying in Touch
- Let's talk about SWAK
- Let me be, please
- attack of the undead conference proposal questions...
- The Pre-tenure Head Bob
- The Price of Fame
- the Big Secret
- I bet he wears Prada
- Overcoming procrastination - some actual advice
- The Lady Vanishes
- Picture secret XXIII
- Color abbreviations?
- Can you trace my voice?
- Calling all coders
- Picture secret XXII
- Your Houseboy Speaks
- I don't feel like saving the world!
- Speaking of Conferences
- Suspended Animation
- I know something you don't...
- Fraud, Dr. Fraud.
- Smooth Talkin' Academic Seeks Committed Geek
- ask not what your editors can do for you...
- either you have it or you don't
- Picture secret XXI
- Betty, When You Call Me You Can Call Me...
- I'm hearing voices: - On the anonymity of anonymou...
- Picture secret XX
- ▼ August (58)