Thursday, July 6
I was watching a nature show on polar bears yesterday, and it got really intense*. Momma polar bear and her two cubs were being chased across an immense wasteland of ice by a menacing male polar bear. One of the cubs couldn't keep up anymore, and fell exhausted down on the snow. Momma polar bear - let's call her Sophie - had to decide whether to stop and protect the downed cub or keep trying to escape with the heartier cub who was still on its feet. Sophie ended up running away with the cub that could still keep up. I was crying freely when the male polar bear started ripping into the first cub, and the blood got all over the snow.

Deciding that this wasn't exactly the relaxing TV fix I was looking for, I flipped to a different channel. When I saw what was on, I thought to myself 'ah, thank goodness. Law and Order: Special Victims Unit,' and cheered up immediately. What kind of nutcase am I that the death of a polar bear cub totally undid me, but a show about the rape and murder of children seemed like a happy, lighthearted diversion?


*even more intense than the computer-generated polar bear tragedy in Inconvenient Truth.

9 comments:

kodachrome said...

I think this phenomenon is caused by an animals-are-innocent-people-are-not philosophy which probably has religious roots (original sin and all that). I used to be relatively at peace with it--only making jokes about how animal rescuers might consider being people rescuers, as well... until Katrina hit. This caused me to lose my sense of humor about how much money we will spend rescuing the kinds of creatures we define as innocent. Yes, yes, rescue persons with pets in tow, but keep looking at the human tragedy, even when there are kittens involved.

Cerise said...

I love SVU. I always feel kind of embarrassed that, of all the crime dramas on TV, I got addicted to the really, really sick one. I have some of the seasons on DVD.

As for animals and humans, I certainly don't think that people should ignore humans in favor of animals, but I also feel very strongly about the need to take responsibility for animals, particularly domesticated ones. I get very upset about irresponsible pet ownership, and the fact that there are so many stray animals, most of which get put down if they end up in a shelter, and otherwise don't have high quality of life. I'm not even a vegetarian, but I feel like there's a lot of totally senseless mistreatment of animals and the creation of situations that might as well be mistreatment, i.e. letting your pets reproduce when there are so many homeless strays.

thistle said...

I like Law and Order: Criminal Intent best. Mostly because I think Vincent D'Onofrio is dreamy.

Salmon Ella said...

When Katrina hit, I felt more sorrow seeing images of stranded animals than stranded people. On an intellectual level, I knew this was wrong, but on a primitive, emotional level, I couldn't help myself. This has haunted me so much, I considered making a postcard and sending it to Post Secret, but now I can't, because I've told someone. It's okay, though--I've got a ton more secrets.

Turquoise Stuff said...

I also like SVU a lot (and CI as well). I turn to that show to unwind, but it's a good question how that makes sense given the horrible crimes they deal with. Intriguing, I'll have to think about this more (am not sure why I haven't thought about it already).

kodachrome said...

Geez! Annonymity can be a problem! I left out personal stuff to help (hopelessly, I'm sure) protect my identity from one, maybe two of you, and in so doing made myself sound like a big jerk. I am an animal rescuer. I foster, I give money, the whole nine yards. I help people, too, but in a way that involves more judging and distancing. I've always seen that as a problem. Thistle saw it too. We agree.

I'm even a cold-hearted CSI/Law & Order addict, who won't watch sappy animal dramas. That's just 'cause they're stupid, though. I would never cry in front of the tevision. ;-) All I can say in my own defense is that SVU is my least favorite L&O. ...and in my original comment, when I said "we" I really was indicting myself along with Fox News.

Clear said...

Meanwhile, that computer generated polar bear tragedy haunts me still.

Sienna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
thistle said...

clear: I've heard a couple of people say that the polar bear swimming to death in Inconvenient Truth was the most powerful part of the movie.

Blog Archive